2011-11-16

Talking


How sad it is that the image above is how we all have begun to communicate with one another? How sad is it  when you want to talk to someone, it is sometimes impossible for that person to look at you while they have their mobile phone out because they are doing something on it? Do you wait for them to finish or do you continue to talk to that person simply accepting the fact that they are only halfway listening to you?

People can write articles about etiquette but if no one believes that such a thing should be followed then it really serves no purpose. In a group setting, if a conversation does not pertain to me, I have on occasion brought out my phone to keep myself occupied. I do not know if it is better to look at my phone or to have a glazed over look as I tune out the conversation.

Hrm.

Maybe it is a way for people to subliminally let the other person know that they are not really interested in what they are talking about. I am sure that if were just me and another person sitting down having a conversation that I would not be using my mobile phone. That would be rude and disrespectful. Sure, if the person had their mobile phone out while I was trying to talk to them, I could say something. But then again, why say anything since it is a powerful sign that they do not find what I am saying important enough to have their undivided attention.

Pretty soon, the only way we will be talking to another human being will not be looking directly at them, but looking at a tiny screen, typing a conversation to them.

Sad.

No comments: